Thursday, February 21, 2013

I Get What I Want

As a child, my mother encouraged me to sleep with a wish list under my pillow. She did the same, and then added the list to a box when all of the itemized wishes came true. Every once in a while, she would sit down, open the box, and reflect on all that she had hoped for and received.

I loved this idea as a kid and I love it now. I take it very seriously. I love it because it solidifies my wishes; by putting them down on paper, they become one step closer to becoming reality. By allowing myself to lay out what I really, really want and set goals on how to go about achieving each thing, my hopes and dreams become all the more attainable. But, most of all, I love the list because it works. And it works because, all of these years, I have adhered to three very strict rules:

1) Be very careful as to what you put on the list. Only items of the highest priority can be added. Nothing trivial. The trivial items can lessen the urgency of the significant items and result in an overall longer waiting time. I define important things as those that have the potential to greatly affect my life or the life of others.

2) Be patient. The key to the list is patience. It could take days, weeks, months, years, or decades for things to happen. Never take anything off of the list (unless you no longer wish for it). If you need to create a new list and still have an old wish that hasn't come true, just recycle it to the top.

3) Keep present. Every once in a while, take out the list and reread it. Take time to recognize what it is that you want, and how close you are to getting it. Keep the items on the list ever-present in your mind. If you stop thinking about them, you may not see the opportunities out there that can make them happen. And, sometimes, you will no longer hope for the same things that you did six months ago. Time sheds light on things and can give you a better understanding of what you want. It is ok to remove things from the list--that will only clear the path further for the other wishes to happen.

There you go; that's my secret to getting everything I want--well, at least everything important.

Try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment