Monday, August 5, 2013

Avocado Chicken Salad

I'm getting quite excited about my recent discovery of the versatility of avocados. I've always just eaten them alone or in a good old bowl of guac, but had no clue they could be used in so many more different ways! This is my second "Avocado Replacement Recipe", where I've used avocado in place of an unhealthy, and therefore, undesirable ingredient. In this Avocado Chicken Salad, I used an avocado in lieu of mayonnaise. (In my first Avocado Replacement Recipe, Creamy Avocado & Tomato Pasta, I used an avocado to replace heavy cream.)
 
So go ahead, stock up on avocados and take the leap into healthier eating. Why don't you start with this Avocado Chicken Salad recipe? I promise you won't be disappointed.

Ingredients

Two chicken breasts, cooked through and chopped up (or shredded)

1 1/2 medium-sized avocados, peeled, pitted, and halved

1/4 cup packed fresh basil

2 tablespoons EVOO (you may need a 3rd later if you're using a blender)

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

Parmesan cheese (optional)

Preparation

Place cooked chicken in a bowl and set aside

Add EVOO, kosher salt, and basil to food processor/blender.

Once the basil is broken down completely, add the avocado and ground black pepper. Process/blend until mixture is completely broken down and has a liquid-base consistency (this is where I had to put an additional tablespoon of EVOO in the mix. You may have to do the same if using a blender.).

Pour mix over chicken, toss to coat completely.

Serve on your favorite bread or greens. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if desired.





...So? What did you think?




No comments:

Post a Comment